
Wednesday, August 26th held a mixture of emotions for me. Alec started kindergarten. It was fun to share in his excitement at the prospect of attending school for the first time. Even though kindergarten didn’t start until 12:50, once he woke up he couldn’t wait to head out the door. When he found out that he got to wear all new clothes, he was even more excited. Alec picked out a teal tree frog t-shirt, army pants, new Batman underwear, white socks, and some cool light-up superhero Velcro shoes. He couldn’t wait to show his dad all of it (even the underwear). We videotaped Alec telling about his new clothes and his excitement for the day, and we took pictures of him in front of the house.
As we got the school and I opened the car door, Alec exclaimed, “Yes!” He was beaming, but at the same time, I got a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye as I realized that this was the last time I would take a child to kindergarten! It really hit me as we walked through the doors of the school. Alec humored me with a big hug and a kiss in the hallway, then wasted no time in heading for his seat in the classroom. Sitting next to him were two of his friends from
Alec is ready to set off for new adventures and I’m having a hard time adjusting to the fact that I am no longer the center of his world. Although this makes me a little sad, his enthusiasm makes me smile and I know that from time to time he will let me come along for the ride.
Days like this are one of the hallmarks of being a parent. As I continue to move along the timeline from one stage of parenthood to the next, I’m grateful that I have more than one child so I am able to enjoy each one at various stages life.
Stage 1: Bill and I are nearly grandparents and are able to watch watch with interest as Dani and David plan for parenthood.
Stage 2: we’re parenting an 18-year-old young adult who is starting her senior year and all the adventure that holds.
Stage 3: we have a 15-year-old teenage boy about ready to drive who keeps us running with band practices, band performances, and sporting events.
Stage 4: we have a daughter who is 12 going on 16. Some days she acts like a little kid and other days she has an attitude and wants to be treated like a teenager with lots of social freedom.
Stage 5: we have a sweet 9-year-old daughter who is struggling to find her place in the world between the teenagers and the sometimes teasing or annoying little brother.
Stage 6: we have a five-year-old leaving toddlerhood and entering the world of school and a wide circle of new friends
Life is far from boring. Most nights we fall into bed at night tired from the day’s activities, but life is good and I wouldn’t want it any other way!





Awe my friend, I can relate!!! I love how you've outlined the "stages"... I don't have a married daughter, but the rest of my kids are in the most of the same stages as yours (age 16,almost 14,almost 8,& 5)! So much fun!!!
ReplyDeleteI enjoy keeping up with you and your family through your blog : ) Have a great school year with your kids~ it will surely go by fast! You will eventually adjust to an empty house during the day... I have treasured having all the kids in school~ I actually have time to catch up on their scrapbooks, now! ENJOY this new season!
That is so exciting for Alec, yet so sad for you. It's a mixed of emotions. You are such a great mom and handle all of your cute/handsome kids great! Good Luck with this school year!
ReplyDelete