
Last night I fulfilled one of my life-long dreams: to see Donny Osmond in Concert. As a teenager growing up in Washington State, I listened to the Donny and Marie double album for hours and hours. I loved the fact that Donny looked great, sounded great, and most of all, he had the same L.D.S. values I did and wasn't afraid to stand up for what he believed in.
For Mother's Day I requested two tickets to see this music legend at the Kent Concert hall at USU on May 25th. Although Bill would have accompanied me without complaint, once he heard his niece, Melissa Stuart, was interested in seeing Donny, too, he gladly gave his ticket to her.
Missy and I had a great time. Before the concert we went to dinner at Olive Garden. The chicken fettuccine was great, and it was fun eating out together. The concert itself was great. The Utah Festival Orchestra and Chorus did several patriotic songs, but of course, Donny was the best part. I couldn't believe his energy and enthusiasm. After a particularly exuberant song and dance number, a woman in the audience yelled, "You've still got it, Grandpa!" The 52-year-old grandfather of two replied, "This is so much fun, but it kills me!" He made some lady's day when, after a bit of persuasion, he tossed his sweaty towel into the audience. He also gave hugs to two women who brought him long-stemmed roses from the audience.
My favorite part of the concert was when Donny told a personal story that happened when his third son was on a mission to Scotland. One day Donny was recording a really important song when he received a ring indicating a text message on his phone. His first reaction was to ignore it because the recording was important and needed to finish soon. However, Donny felt impressed that he needed to answer it, so he did. The text message from his missionary son said, "Dad are you there? I need you." He immediately responded and they began corresponding. After 20 minutes, Donny's son said, "Dad, I'm okay now. You don't need to worry about me anymore." When Donny asked him what was different now from 20 minutes ago, he replied, "I just needed to know that you were there for me when I needed you." That same day, Donny wrote the song, "Whenever You're in Trouble," for this son and all his children. I have played it at least ten times today. What a great song about being there for those you love!
My only criticism of the concert was that Donny didn't sing long enough; forty-five minutes just left all of us wanting more. Despite the lack of quantity, the quality was fantastic. I was thrilled that he sang one of my favorites, "The Twelfth of Never." Instantly I was transported back to my bedroom where the walls were covered with pictures of Donny Osmond, Shawn Cassidy, and Leif Garrett--back to the room where I would dream of meeting my own prince charming some day. Donny can still melt my heart through song, but he is no longer the one I think about when I hear him croon a love song. My sweetheart doesn't sing for sold-out crowds, but he does love fly fishing, grilling dinner, and building Legos with my kids. He even shares my passion for camping and bargain hunting. This prince fed my kids dinner and after I returned home from my Cinderella night, he greeted me with a warm welcome and a spotless kitchen. Although my bedroom walls are no longer plastered with the face of the man I admire and dream about, how lucky I am to have my personal prince charming living within the walls of my own home. Dreams do come true! This fantastic night reminded me of that!
No comments:
Post a Comment